Monday 27 March 2017

Pyranha 9R Review - '9 Reasons'



I've been paddling a 9R since I got back from Mexico at the start of the 2015. I also owned a Shiva around then, but it did not make it out of the garage much at all. I get a lot of questions asking me about the 9R so I thought a review would save me a lot of typing in the long run.
Pyranha claim that this is not just a race boat, so I am going to make this review super cheesy (and let you all have a laugh at my expense) and unofficially tell you that 9R stands for '9 Reasons'.





Here are my own 9 reasons to paddle the 9R;

1. Racing.

In case you haven't noticed, it’s fast. Obviously! If you make a boat narrow and long it is going to be fast. I don't think anyone is going to debate this one.
Even I've won a race now!

2. Stout 2 Fittings

Pyranha fittings have never been perfect but they did have their upsides. It was all fairly light, there are no gimmicky features, everything adjusts in a fairly simple manner and it's pretty easy to get in and do your own outfitting modifications.
The new Stout 2 parts have finally improved on the 2 weak links in the system, the hip pads and thigh braces. These new designs are smart, simple and effective. A big step forward.
The boat also comes with a decent amount of foam.

3. Easy rolling.

With this boat being a little narrower than the average big boat, it's a little less effort to roll it.
This also helps with connectivity inside the boat. Smaller paddlers; don't be put off! This long boat isn't one of those big wide designs that feels like a bath tub.

4. Lean boofs.

All the rage right now. Lots of paddlers are cranking their boats over on edge for extra leverage/style points on their boofs. The 9R's narrow hull design excels with edge to edge transitions, making it much easier to get a quicker, more fluid motion.
The bow rocker on this boat is pretty big. Combine that with the nifty little wave deflectors and you have one dry, stylish looking ride.

5. It's definitely not just a race boat.

My poor Shiva did not see the light of day much at all. The 9R has become my go to, everyday kayak; from longer flat-water paddles to grade 4/5. I did not miss the Shiva too much in the past few months. The 9R has proven more than capable on the tougher stuff. It’s far from a one trick pony.

6. It's not quite a full on creeker.

Half the reason I pick this boat to paddle so regularly is that it keeps those practised, familiar runs fun. This is a boat that keeps me on my toes and stops me from getting lazy. You do sometimes need to be more aware of the edges or boof a little harder. It's all part of the boat's charm to me.
This boat may punish lazy paddling a little, but it really rewards active paddling and good lines.

7. Edges that are harder than a Shiva/Machno’s but softer than the Burn's.

Last year I managed to have a shot in a 3rd gen Burn a few times and loved the way it paddled. I did notice that the edges on it were very sharp, not an ideal trait for a boat to have when I want to be boofing Right Angle on the Etive etc. Then the 9R came long; fairly soft lines up front, harder edges towards the stern. You can really carve the boat into eddies and get away with some bigger flat landings.

8. Old rivers, new moves.

With the speed of the 9R at my disposal I've found myself really playing about with river features. I'm doing more attainments and catching waves on the fly (those not so steep ones that usually just flush). I'm also looking for new lines that involve speed and dynamic paddling.

9. It is cool.

I haven't met one person that doesn't think the 9R is cool. I have met plenty of people that are sceptical about it when they are just about to try it for the first time. That usually ends with them begrudgingly handing the demo boat back with a massive smile on their face. My old flatmate (who paddles for another brand of kayak) had only one comment about it, “I don't want to admit how good this boat is.” The 9R makes people jealous. Simple!




2 comments:

  1. nice review, thanks for sharing. I am 95kg and 191 - would the regular 9r still be a good fit or should I go for the large. May I ask what size you are?

    ReplyDelete